I do like Robin Sharma. I have one of his books (The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari) that I need to finish. Anyway, he is an expert in leadership and motivation and I wanted to share this with you – I got it from his website which subsequently has some great information on it.
In fairness anyone could apply these simple tasks, whether you are a hot shot career person or not.
SMART MOVES FOR LEADERSHIP AND SUCCESS
1. Begin every week with a clear plan of action. Begin every day with a clear plan of action.
2. Exercise first thing in the morning. This jump starts your metabolic rate leading to higher energy levels. It also pours endorphins into your system so you feel good through your day.
3. Do a Nightly Debrief where you focus on 5 good things that happened during your day as well as record goals for the next one.
4. Read something inspirational and innovative every single day. The best leaders have big libraries.
5. Spend time around art. Art stokes your creative fire and elevates your spirit-helping you play at your best at work.
Again with lots of these things that I suggest, you can go onto Robin’s website and sign up for his newsletter. It is a bit commercial but the information also comes through.
I truly believe that you create all of your behaviors and you all have the power to change them and create new ones as you shape and grow.
About a year ago, I was quite unhappy with myself. I had become lazy and generally demotivated. Normally I am quite active and positive so I couldn’t understand where it came from. I got sick of feeling like this so I decided to do something about it. I made a list of how I was feeling and stuck it onto my bedroom wall. Everyday for ages and still sometimes now, I read it to remind myself of the behavior I want within myself. I wrote:
- Feeling lazy and incompetent
- Brain not being trained and am exposed to trash repeating in my mind – I was watching lots of shit TV and because that’s was all I was seeing, I had the storeylines going around in my head, living in soapland – not growing, not learning, not looking after my body and soul and my most importantly my mind.
- Lack of focus and intelligence – I know I can be better
- Itching on my skin – a sign of stress. It was getting to me physically
- Body not is shape – need to be more active
- I’m 33 not 63
- Need to stop wasting my life away and get up in the mornings
- I DON’T LIKE WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME – IF I DID, I WOULDN’T BE WRITING THIS
- Don’t want a repeat of my back problem where on two occasions I have woken up paralysed from the neck down.
So from that day onwards, I started getting up at 615am and went for a swim before work – usually 4-5 times a week. I also started reading all of my motivational books and listening to my audiobooks, which I personally find a much easier way of reading books. I stopped watching crap TV. I started making more of an effort by cooking fresh meals at home. I also find time in the days to take a moment for myself and just breathe.
I look at the list now and I smile – I changed my behaviours and I have a daily reminder to tell me so. I am much stronger mentally, physically and emotionally. I shared this with you to show you that anyone can make a change. You have to want to be in a different space, breathing different air, thinking different thoughts. I have also learned that you have to really be sick and tired of your situation if you want to change it – at least I do. Maybe because I’m a bit lazy sometimes.
Hope this helps. You can do anything if you put your mind to it. We really don’t appreciate how strong we can be just by using our focus.
If you need help, listen to a few speaches from Tony Robbins – he will soon pick you up!
This is also great – its slow enough for you to take a moment to think about the words and totally absorb them. Their website is also great – details given at the end.